Friday, September 2, 2011

More on Pot Melts

In case you can't tell, doing pot melts in the kiln is one of my favorite things to do. I found a picture of one in the kiln that I took awhile ago. As I said in my last post, the pot melt starts by loading a pot with a hole in the bottom with different colors of scrap glass. Then you fire the kiln and break the temperature up until the glass gets molten and flows out of the bottom of the pot. Here is what it looks like.
The glass pools up on the kiln shelf and when it cools you have beautiful patterns of different colors. From there you can do a variety of things with the tile. I showed you the vase I created from the blue pot melt I did the other night.
I also make jewelry out of pot melts as well. They can be cut with a saw, or my personal favorite, I wrap it in newspaper and take it out on my concrete barn floor. I take the hammer to it and come out with all kinds of different shapes.
I put the pieces back into the kiln and fire them again to get nice polished sides and edges. These are so fun to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment